Redwood Glen: Intuitive Painting
Yes, that was me hugging that tree.
This month, I had the serendipitous fortune to join an intuitive painting class in the redwoods, something I've never done before.
Seven people sat on the ground around a carpet, some on plump cushions. After a moving introduction by our facilitator, Bahar Amanzadeh, we were no longer strangers. Bahar, who moved the the US from Iran half a lifetime ago, shared some ceremonial Persian artifacts, and told her story. Then she read a long poem by Rumi--first in Farsi, then in improvised English.
Bahar runs intuitive painting classes and workshops, offers creative healing and trauma-aware coaching, plus, according to her website, Painting the River, community building and organizational consulting.
Painting the River offers intuitive painting classes, workshops, and retreats, weaving creativity with movement, meditation, somatic practices, nature, and poetry—creating spaces to explore intuition, connection, belonging, and the river within.
After introductions and prompted poetry readings, we all got up and moved. I found myself hugging said tree, caressing the ancient, rippling bark, stamping my feet and whirling around in bare-footed chaos to the music she played. I know the kids sometimes do raves up here. As I danced in the daylight I thought of them dancing in the dark. I'm grateful that they have a place to safely go wild. We all need that.
"What roots you when the world feels unsteady?"
After a break and some snacks at the picnic tables, Bahar sent us back to the trees with charcoal and tissue paper. I became frustrated that I couldn't capture the layers of wood that had possessed me when I'd danced. She had us tune into any feelings that came up, and then allow ourselves to be called to any of the materials she'd so generously provided, and just go nuts working them out with colors.
I'm used to my tools: a keyboard, a pencil, a notebook, a pen. Switching mediums switches up your brain. I welcomed my muses by entering a new creative struggle. I had no idea how my paint work would turn out, but I had a safe place that was all about process, not product. My paintings were messy, but my process was even messier--I even painted with my feet! At the end, everyone shared their work and what they had gone through to create it. Participants were working through trauma: the loss of a parent; divorce; loss of health; war.
"Expression is the antidote to oppression, suppression, and repression."
I am always looking for ways to connect with the originating artistic energy of this park. Miller and the artists used the land for sacred reflection and creativity. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to step into that stream of energy.
A few weeks ago I saw Circle of Light at the Chabot Planetarium, so I fell deeply into the expansiveness of Rumi's inspiration. I intend to post some of my poetry, along with my messy masterpiece on Generous Muse. If you'd like to see it, follow me there!
And if you'd like to seek an experience like this, follow Painting the River. This Saturday, Behar is offering an online version of Intuitive Painting with Rumi!




Dancing in the dark?
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDHwJrbrp0Y&list=RDwDHwJrbrp0Y&start_radio=1